November 21, 2012

My DIY Redemption

Even though sometimes it's ultra embarrassing and I'd really rather not, I'm honest about my DIY feats and failures.  I shared the drippy bottle bomb and the two-for-one paper mache and gift wrapping fails.  Remember when I tried to paint all the original frames for my vintage silhouettes?  I don't know if the paint had gone bad or if there was a problem with the "wetware" (what my Dad, in the computer biz, calls people because we're largely made of water and often the source of computer probs).  Whatever the problem, the frames turned out so gunky I had to scrap them and, head hung low, buy new ones.

Despite DIY successes like this and this, I failed DIY 101: spray painting!


When another silhouette crossed my path (for only $3.99 - my best find yet), I bravely decided it was time to face my silhouette-frame-spray-painting fears . . .


Ok.  If I'm being honest, I had to work with this frame because store-bought sizes didn't leave room for the awesome description of the silhouette artist who has cut over 1.5 million silhouettes, including silhouettes for folks like The Pope of Rome at the Vatican (1927) and President Hoover!


Supplies:

If the magic is in the materials, here is what I used: Rust-oleum Painter's Touch primer in white and Krylon Dual Paint and Primer in Matte Black spray paint (leftover from this chair makeover). 

Steps For Avoiding a DIY Bomb:

Before and after my bomb, I successfully spray painted many a thing, so I just did what I normally do - although I was a bit over-cautious this time, what with the double priming:
  • I waited for a perfect weather day - not too cold, not too warm, not too humid, not too windy
  • I used a shallow cardboard box to protect the grass
  • Then I carefully sprayed on the spray primer
  • I sprayed one side, let it dry for a few hours, flipped it over and then sprayed the other side
  • I let it dry for 48 hours (to be extra, extra sure)
  • Then I waited for another perfect weather day and carefully applied the spray paint
  • I applied thin, even coats following the can instructions to the letter

And?

The frame turned out beautifully and the faux, exaggerated wood grain really pops with the new darker paint.



It looks perfect with the rest of my (growing) collection.  Plus I'm happy to report I am still loving my magnetic board



Now I need to actually make my own silhouette.

13 comments:

  1. What a fun gallery wall! I also have a thing for silhouettes :)
    Ashli
    http://thegrayhouseontheleft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashli! I have no idea what my fascination is, but I totally love them. Vintage cameos score high with me too!

      Delete
  2. I have never seen this little corner before, Tanya. How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually the closet in my office. When we replaced the carpet with hardwood, we didn't put the doors back so I keep my office-y things in there, like the file cabinet and memo board, but I've tried to pretty it up! Eventually we'll hide the track leftover from the doors on the top, but it's so hard to see it's low on the to-do list.

      Delete
  3. I'd be happy to make you a silhouette if you send me a sideview :) I think I'm going to start selling them in my new shop next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo, YES please. I think they would sell like hot cakes because it's tough to make a good quality one.

      Delete
  4. I love all of those silhouettes! That is a gorgeous gallery wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley. The collection is very slowly growing but I'm so happy I still find some (inexpensive ones) every now and then.

      Delete
  5. Great job and sometimes the magic is in the right paint. Thanks for the info! M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is so cool- I love the artist info (is that on the back?). Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the write up on the back is of the silhouette artist. That's how I know he's cut over a million and met oodles of famous people. I've never had ANY information on the silhouette cutter before, so this was a fun find! I wish they all had this neat info . . .

      Delete

You've made my day! I love hearing from you.
Unless you're a spammer. Spam commenters, you're out of luck: I approve each and every comment, so don't waste your time here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...