While in Thunder Bay last week (I only just revealed that tidbit yesterday), I made a mess of my parents' house while setting up shop with my Mom. Their living room is now home to 70+ vintage finds and handmade goods (although that number is declining), all boxed and ready for new homes. I had promised to help de-clutter, but mostly I just made a mess. I forgot my Mom hates the smell of cardboard. Ugh, I feel terrible.
To my credit, I did help my Mom organize a little. Without invitation, I rummaged through the contents of her costume jewellery drawer and reorganized to make everything more accessible.
Here's what she was working with: lots of things were in their original, non-descript boxes, which made accessorizing a real shell game of trying to figure out what was where.
A closer view:
My plan was to buy something that would fit in the drawer and help create at-hand storage. But, I like a job done quickly (sometimes at the expense of doing it well, but that's another story) and this time my ants-in-the-pants paid off. I scooted to the kitchen and started rummaging through the cupboards, where I found two, rarely used divided glass dishes. One was the perfect fit!
We kept a few rarely worn items in boxes in the back, then put a few larger pieces in the "new" dish. Her existing silver lidded dishes house smaller pieces.
Now everything is easy to see, easy to access and easy to wear!
Full disclosure: not everything went back in. The empty boxes found a new home, yes, as did some of her never worn jewellery. Coincidentally, my jewellery box now has a few additions, like a sweet coral brooch and a couple other goodies. I'm horrible.






Gyerekkoromban nekünk is volt ilyen üvegtálunk. Abban szervíroztuk a vendégeknek a sós rágcsálnivalót :)
ReplyDeleteI am lazy with the Hungarian today ;)
DeleteDo you still have these kinds of dishes? They can be used for so many other things . . .
Több kibúvót nem kapsz a magyar alól :). Tudod, a szülinapi listád 23. pontja. Én vagyok a hajtód :) Szerintem anyunak még van ilyen tálja. Egyébként ez tényleg egy remek ötlet az újrahasznosításra!
DeleteIgen, tudom, hogy kell gyakorolni. Nem kéne ennyire lusta lenne.
DeleteKöszönöm a motiváció :D
Szeretek újrahasznosítani. Újrahasznosítás pénzt takarít meg!
Nicely done! I like the glass bowl to display her pretty items.
ReplyDeleteThanks!! It really does let her pretty costume jewellery "shine".
DeleteI love what you did with her jewelry drawer. Having everything beautifully organised means things get worn so much more. I seriously need to give my drawer some attention too :)
ReplyDeleteYup, I am happy to report that Mom is wearing more of her lovely pieces now.
DeleteVery well done Tanya! I love it when i open my drawer i can find anything and everything in a second. Makes life so much easier. Do you organize your makeup and what not the same way? I bought some makeup organization storages from here (www.azardisplays.com/productcart/pc/Cosmetic-Displays-c125.htm) and its quite helpful. But for jewelry items we have a PAX wardrobe, it makes things easier to find for sure.
ReplyDeleteOoo, those are neat! I have many little drawers in my bathroom vanity, so I have little dishes in there too. And sometimes I use vintage planters (for lipsticks) or metal serving trays (for nailpolish). I get creative, lol, mostly to save money.
DeleteI agree...that is the best way to save money! Way to go Tanya :)
DeleteThat must have been so fun! I love re-organizing, especially such pretty things!
ReplyDeleteEmilie
live.eat.smile.
Reorganizing jewellery is much better than reorganizing socks, that's for sure!
DeleteSuch a great idea. I definitely need to figure out a better storage solution for my jewelry - too many things in too few boxes means I forget what I have or it just ends up in a tangled mess! I'm thinking I probably need to let a few things go...
ReplyDeleteI love the sectioned dish, what a great tip!!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.mythriftychic.com/
i use little baskets in the same way -- i never thought about dishes though. Genius!
ReplyDeleteDo you know the artist name for your turquoise studded chain piece?
ReplyDelete