Still eyeing our unpainted brick fireplace (see
here &
here) every now and then, wondering what it would look like painted a fantastic dove grey or creamy vanilla. But then I see a great room with au naturel brick and reconsider (you can hear my hubby saying "whew" in the background):
Of course this real-life bedroom, featured on the
Better Homes & Gardens website, was previously a warehouse so this brick likely has a more storied past than the ole 1976 brick we have. The same can likely be said for the room below:
Yup, tricky. We have a brick fireplace that's been painted ivory, and it doesn't look that great. I think yours actually works OK with the colors of furniture you have... maybe live with it a bit longer and see if there are elements from the rooms you like that you can echo?
ReplyDeleteAll the brick on my house, inside and out, was already painted when I bought it. I'm guessing the brick was the same ugly dark red as my next door neighbor's, so I'm OK with it painted. I think a lot of the success or failure of painting brick depends on whether or not it has a fairly smooth side that holds paint rather than sucking it up like a porous piece of lava rock.
ReplyDeleteI agree. I think quality makes a big difference. And there really are so many different shades/styles of brick - some really are quite bad.
ReplyDelete