
Here's a deliciously simple drink idea: DIY vanilla infused vodka with Aranciata Rossa San Pellegrino, which boasts a juicy hit of blood orange. It's pink, so it's perfect for Valentine's Day, but it tastes like summer in a glass - like a creamsicle. Drool. (This isn't a sponsored post, I just really enjoy San Pellegrino sparkling fruit beverages because they're sweet and carbonated, but not as cloying as soda - although I fully admit I might be swayed by the cool history and vintage-inspired branding).
Making my own vodka infusion was something I had been wanting to try for awhile and it turned out to be so simple! Now I'm eager to try different variations.
How to Make Vanilla Infused Vodka
Supplies:
- Mason jar (might I suggest the, now ridiculously priced, blue ball jars?)
- Empty bottle (these are cute)
- Coffee filter
- Funnel (I used my Melitta cone brewer)
- 2-3 vanilla beans/pods
Step One:
Pour the vodka into a clean mason jar, plop in some vanilla pods (2-3 for almost 750ml of vodka), and twist the lid tightly. Seriously, that's it! I photographed the smaller blue ball jar but ended up using a larger mason jar so that I didn't have to break the vanilla beans. A mason jar ensured that I could easily retrieve the vanilla pods - they would have been difficult to fish out of a narrow bottle. You could also pop them right into the vodka bottle and decant later, but I didn't want to infuse my entire bottle. Some folks break open the pods or scrape out the insides but as I understand it, that can produce a gritty tasting vodka. You really just want the oil from the pod to infuse the vodka, so leaving them whole will produce the best results.
Step Two:
Place the mason jar in a cool, dark place for 7-10 days. Peek into the cupboard obsessively, everyday, to check on the development.
Step Three:
Open the mason jar, remove the vanilla pods (trust me, it's easier than having them flop around), and strain the vodka through a clean coffee filter into an empty bottle. This removes any gritty bits that have been shed by the vanilla.
I love what a soft golden hue the vodka picks up. And it's so tasty - now I want to try adding pears and figs and all kinds of deliciousness.
Vanilla Vodka with Blood Orange Sparkling Beverage
A glass of San Pellegrino, a splash of the vanilla infused vodka, a couple of ice cubes plus a slice of blood orange and all of a sudden Wednesday is looking a lot better.

Handy Hubby and I were married at City Hall in Toronto but held our brunch reception at a swank hotel. We stayed there the night before our wedding (we flew to Greece immediately after) and the hotel gifted us these glasses - the number is our room number!













Yes please make mine a double! These look amazing!!
ReplyDeleteI've got plenty of vodka to share, lol
DeleteThis sounds delicious. you had me at creamsicle!
ReplyDeleteI'm a sucker for orange and vanilla - there was a blood orange vanilla hand lotion I had that I went crazy for!
DeleteI'm so thirsty now!!
ReplyDeleteps. I laughed out loud with the "ridiculously priced, blue ball jars". I remember buying a pack of 6 for $7 at Joanne Fabric years ago. This new price is highway robbery.
I bought a case at Canadian Tire and regret not buying more because they no longer have them. Highway robbery is right!
DeleteI know! SO good! I've always found pop to be a little too sweet and fake, but these have just the right amount of sugar (probably tons) and real juice flavor. I'm hooked too.
ReplyDeleteTook your inspiration and went in a new direction - combining sparkling orange beverage with champagne. Perfect Valentine's Day drink.
ReplyDeleteOooo, that sounds deeelicious! I will HAVE to try that!
Delete