August 25, 2014

Blogging Can Be Weird

Griffin, from The Design Itch, asked me to partake in a tour that's making its way through blogland.  Even though I'm pretty swamped, and I just participated in the Canadian Bloggers Home Tour (see the juicy new lakehouse pictures I shared here), I'm always so touched when someone says, "hey, you're swell.  Can I tell people how swell I think you are?"  Speaking of swell, take a look at Griffin's beautiful dining room:


Blogging can be weird.  Over the weekend someone read an older, tongue-in-cheek post of mine but didn't get the joke at all, so they decided that the only thing to do was to leave a character-attacking comment - anonymously, of course.  Le sigh.  I manually approve all comments (to catch rude spam), but I swiftly deleted that one too.  Truthfully, it was kind of funny because the person was very uninformed about the matter in question - but very opinionated, as the uninformed tend to be - and I almost wanted to approve and highlight the comment because anyone who has read more than one post of mine would have seriously chuckled, but I just don't need that kind of negative juju.  Constructive feedback is always welcome but any type of name-calling, character defamation, or attempts to make someone feel bad get a big "nope" from me.  I'm not one to complain about blogging because, uh, it's totally voluntary.  Negative comments don't ruffle my feathers anyway, but I'm sharing this to help remind myself not to take for granted the kind, sweet, supportive folks out there who make blogging so much fun.
  
Before I get too misty-eyed, I'm just going to get right to the questions posed of everyone who partakes in this tour:

1. What am I working on?

Right now I'm working on a bunch of different DIY projects, feverishly trying to complete them before the snow (which I'm certain is just around the corner) rears its ugly head.  I've partnered with Canadian Tire for a huge series of projects and I'm tackling some of those this week, but I've also got some of my own projects on the go.  I've been trying for weeks to stain the deck and couldn't land a sunny stretch, but I think Tuesday might be my magic day!  Sometimes you can catch a glimpse of what I'm working on via Instagram, like this sneak peek I shared of a super cute office accessory I painted and stained yesterday - details soon!


2. How does my work differ from those in my genre?

I learned a long time ago that I shouldn't compare myself to others.  I really do believe it's far more valuable to compare current-me to past-me, than to anyone else.  Have I learned something?  Have I developed a skill?  Am I improving?  Have I stopped leaving the dishrag in a sink of scungy dishwater overnight?


Past-me (townhouse-me) blogged more often and took fewer design risks.  Current me (lakehouse-me) has been trying to blog a little less, but produce more interesting, thoughtful posts.  I'm taking more design risks and tackling more daring DIY projects.  I submit the townhouse kitchen and lakehouse kitchen as Exhibit A.


3. Why do I write/create what I do?

I was passionate about DIY projects long before I started blogging and probably will be long after I hit "publish" on my last post.  I'm not really into DIY to save a buck, although that's a nice perk - like when I made my framed agate art for a fraction of the price of the professionally framed agate I lusted after.


Mostly I just like things my way - I DIY because I'm bossy!  Often I can't find exactly what I want (like my weird truck bed or the washing-maching hiding curtains), so I make it.  I also have this horrible affliction: I have too many ideas!  I sometimes wish I could just say them out loud and see them magically materialize, because I have way more ideas (especially for art!) than one person can ever use and never enough time to see them all come to fruition.  But, I do like learning new skills and trying new things, so maybe a magic idea-maker wouldn't be for me after all.  Sure, I wasn't the best at it - and it was a ridiculous amount of work (I'm talking weeks and weeks) - but it feels pretty awesome to say that Hubby and I painted my 1992 Dodge Colt lime green...  


I've always enjoyed creative endeavors, and I hope the well never dries up!  

4. How does my creative writing process work?

I have a notebook designated for blog post ideas, but usually I end up writing them down on everything from gas receipts to my Hydro bill.  Once I accidentally wrote down something on a student exam I was marking!  I hope they don't steal my idea...

I used to post five days a week but these days I aim to produce a blog post 3 days a week.  Truthfully, I reject half of what I write because I start to doubt the quality.  I think I have more abandoned draft posts than published posts.  I recently sat down and penned a personal essay for a writing contest which I at first thought was really funny and moving, but in the 11th hour couldn't submit it because I decided it was crap.  I hope future-me either improves my writing or confidence, because I spend a lot of time clicketing-clacking away at my computer for my own health.

Now I'm passing the tour on to Shannon, from 8 Foot Six (with whom I share a love of Pyrex).  She's currently decorating and renovating on two fronts: her already gorgeous home has undergone some renos and she has the cutest summer place.


Jae won me over with a stunning kitchen makeover - seeing the process unfold was incredible!  I definitely recommend taking a peek at Design OCD.  I'm passing the tour through blogland onward, so Jae and Shannon will be sharing their answers to these questions next Monday and then they'll each pass the questions on to another blogger.  And so on and so on, until the end of time.  The end.

24 comments:

  1. this was so much fun to read! i love the car painting photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DIY for the same reason. I Made my own wedding dress because everything I saw in magazines, stores, online etc. was "aaaaalmost perfect but not quite". It's just so much more rewarding to just do it myself and get exactly what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you made your own wedding dress! I had a seamstress make mine for the same reason - I couldn't find one I liked (I wanted something not-white). Sometimes it's just easier to make something, than spend forever searching. Hubby calls that "questing," and we hate questing!

      Delete
  3. Great read! That car painting story still amazing me. So great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a few of those comments over time too! It's obviously people who are lonely and have too much time on their hands. I'm glad you didn't publish it because you would have just given them the attention they were so desperately seeking. P.S. you're super awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about giving them attention. If they want a place to vent or air their concerns they should take to some forum or start their own blog - this is my little space that I worked hard to build. It's irritating someone thinks they can use it for their own purposes (spammers, I'm looking at you!). I honestly can't believe you get any negative comments!! Your blog is so fun and refreshing and beautifully photographed. What on earth could anyone take issue with? Never mind, ignore them because it goes without saying: you're awesome too!!

      Delete
  5. As usual an interesting read... I enjoy your blog, your pictures of progress in the new home and especially the refreshing kitchen. I was also glad to read that you can delete any comments you wish to, so not worth the negative energy they create, not to mention the waste of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, JoAnn, it's really nice to hear you enjoy reading! You're right about negative comments being a waste of time - especially when they're not constructive in any way.

      Delete
  6. Great blog post! It's always fascinating to look at a fellow DIY fanatic and see what exactly drives their passion and goals when it comes to this hobby of ours, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely a whole host of reasons to tackle DIY projects - I wish I could peer more into the motivation of other people! I love being nosy :)

      Delete
  7. I stumbled upon your blog a couple months ago after googling how to paint a brick fireplace (yours is gorgeous by the way!). After reading a few posts I was hooked and have followed you ever since. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that you were living on Lake Superior (I am also from Thunder Bay). I look forward to reading more.

    On a different note - can you share were you got the agate for your framed agate art? they are beautiful and I would like to recreate something similar to use as accents on a gallery wall.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy, thanks so much for your comment! I'm so happy to hear you were hooked after finding my blog - and that you're from Thunder Bay too. That's such a coincidence! Did you paint your brick fireplace? How did it turn out?

      I found the agate at HomeSense, when I lived in Ottawa. It was a set of coasters, actually, and came with the gold edge already. You can find something similar on Etsy:
      https://www.etsy.com/ca/market/agate_coaster

      Delete
  8. That's crazy! My mother has the same Pyrex set in the top right of the picture from 8 Foot Six. It's always cool to see a fellow DIYer shop similar styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great set! Shannon has an incredible stockpile of Pyrex - I'm totally in awe of how she has been able to put together so many greats sets. Does your Mom know that collecting Pyrex has really become quite popular?

      Delete
  9. Thanks for participating Tanya, I love your take on Question #2 such a great outlook! My parents had a Colt Vista for a short time when I was a kid, very class ride, it would have looked great in lime green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you asked me to partake! I really enjoy the community that accompanies blogging. Ooo, a Colt Vista - so cute!

      Delete
  10. Thanks to Rain, I discovered your blog!

    I love your writing and your imagery is fantastic! Keep up the great work, Tanya!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! I just checked out your blog and it's so great - I can't believe you kept your cool around Sarah Richardson. I would not have remained so professional and would have totally embarrassed myself and stifled her with my enthusiasm at the same time.

      Delete
  11. Nothing you can do about haters. Just bless them and send them on their way. But know that the rest of us enjoy your posts and what you share! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to leave me such a lovely comment. It's always really nice to hear that people enjoy reading my blog.

      Delete
  12. Thanks again for passing this on to me! I put it up before reading your post and now I am comparing my answers to your thoughtful diddles and I think I should revise what I said. Except that's kinda cheating!

    Glad you shook off that annon comment bomber...and thanks for the encouragement you gave, helping me to do the same!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can write our own rules with blogging, lol. I edit posts sometimes (mostly because they're riddled with typos!). Keep on keeping on! You have lots of readers who love your blog (and IG feed).

      Delete

You've made my day! I love hearing from you.
Unless you're a spammer. Spam commenters, you're out of luck: I approve each and every comment, so don't waste your time here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...