March 22, 2013

Say it ain't so . . .

Google Reader is going the way of the dinosaursDo you use it?  How will you be following along with your favorite blogs?  Here are a few ideas, but is there anything I can do to make stopping by the townhouse a little simpler?  You can currently keep up with what's new a few different ways, including email subscription, linky followers, etc.  But let me know if there's something else!  I've heard bloglovin' is fabulous.  You can use it to follow your favorite blogs by clicking here.


I have to admit, Pinterest has become my first stop when I take my morning coffee break and troll the internet in search of eye candy.  I'm reading fewer blogs now than I used to (although I'm still reading lots!), and reliant on Pinterest for so much, from a daily giggle to crock pot recipes to decor inspiration.  I only washed our bedroom pillows recently because I read about it on Pinterest.  This is terrible, not just because our pillows had never previously been washed (I thought the stuffing would bunch!) but because Pinterest, as Emily pointed out, is an idea collector, not generator.  The idea generators need my support, and not just in the form of traffic from Pinterest.

Image Source

To ease the guilt, I'm going to start to clean up my Pinterest boards.  These days, most things I pin are from an original (or pretty good) source and I'm getting in the habit of checking the source before I repin too, but my Pinterest boards have lots of poorly pinned pics from when Pinterest was new(er) to me.  I'd like to tidy them up, so they all link back to original sources and give people credit where credit is due!  To help find the original source of an image, AV (from long distance loving) introduced me to this bookmarklet, which can track down the original source of an image.  Neat!

Image from Long Distance Loving

If you're going to spend a little time lazily ogling cleaning up your Pinterest account, here's a little mellow background music for you: an amazing cover of Weezer's Say it ain't so by Sarah Blackwood and Emily Bones.  These gals can sing!  I get goosebumps.   

 
Happy weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I had a mild heart attack when I found out Reader was going away... but I switched to blog lovin and actually I like it even better- it makes it much easier to comment because it takes you to the actual post page.
    I've heard Feedly is good too, but it's a browser app and not a webpage so you can't use it with an "in private view"... which means you can get caught reading blogs at work. Not that that's what I do or anything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing I hated about Google Reader (are others like it?) is that it made blogs look terrible! All the effort put into making a blog look pretty . . . wasted. I like that bloglovin still keeps blogs looking good - at least not so messy! Great tip about Feedly. And your at-work blog reading secret is safe with me :)

      Delete
  2. Yes--I love bloglovin' because I can read the blog in the original layout, the way the blogger intended! I switched over maybe a year or so ago and never looked back! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know!! I hear nothing but good things about bloglovin' so I'm thinking about it . . .

      Delete
  3. That song is awesome! I must have it and listen to it nonstop in the car. Also, that's what I sound like when I sing in the car. It's Struve, even if most passengers do not agree. As for Reader, on trying out Feedly right now as I've read good things but its definitely something new to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am listening to their cover nonstop but I still don't sound like that (yes, I've been singing along), lol. I'd love to hear your thoughts om Feedly when you're accustomed to the change!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Pinterest and morning coffee are a match made in heaven! And google reader will certainly be missed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest and my lunch break and afternoon coffee are a pretty good match too, lol.

      Delete

You've made my day! I love hearing from you.
Unless you're a spammer. Spam commenters, you're out of luck: I approve each and every comment, so don't waste your time here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...